Friday, July 16, 2010

Save The Turtle Advertisement - Terengganu Accent

I heard the other day over Radio [Light & Easy] an advertisement, I could not really reproduce it in verbatim but amongst others it goes like this:

" Hi, I am Syed Fazli ... "Imajing" (imagine) yourself being "bong" (born)...
(suddenly you could hear a lady's voice - Syed Fazli's mother - said) ... "dong"
(don't) "ik" (eat) "telur penyu"!!! ..."

Syed Fazli went on in his Terengganu accent and ended the advert by inviting us to save the turtle and go to the website - in his own words:

" ... www."hek" (hatch).turtle.com".

Now, I find it annoying and irritating because I know of my Terengganu born friends who could speak English well... It is an insult to them actually.

Secondly, since the objective - I firmly believe unless I am damn wrong!! - is to create awareness to us Malaysians to save the turtles from extinction - can't the advertisement be in "Queen's English" or at least proper English? It definitely defeat the purpose by running an advertisement which you have to hear it over and over again to understand the meaning/objective of the same...

It is so sad, annoying and pathetic ... which reminds me of the poem by J. M. Aziz "Penyu Menangis" ......

Good night all & till the next posting .....

No comments:

Post a Comment