Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ramadhan @ JB - Free Flow Posting

I have been in JB for 2 days already - attending Industrial Court's hearing (as the Company's witness) in a retrenchment case which I handled way back in 2004. Tomorrow another session of discussion with 2 Company's witnesses in a dismissal case which I also handled way back in 2006.

Come to think of it after years - more than 15 years - in this job, I believe many an ex employees had been dismissed due to various misconduct where I had a hand in them. It's a difficult job but I always ensure that I would be impartial & fair in my recommendation to the management in dismissing them ... However, as a mortal I have to accept the fact that being "fair" is very subjective and the ultimate fairness & impartiality are only for ALLAH the almighty... I could only pray that I have discharged my duty well & could go back home & sleep well ...

Nothing eventful happened during the trial yesterday except being "grilled" in the cross examination by the ex workers' concerned for half a day... Alhamdulillah, I managed to fend off the "attack" by the opponent's lawyer - firmly & not easily rattled even though with "perut kosong" during Ramadhan ... Well, Ramadhan should not be an excuse for not giving your best in everything you do!!!!

If during Ramadhan, the army of 313 Muslims led by Prophet Muhammad SAW could defeated 1000 Mushrikeen army in the 1st war in the Islamic history @ Badar War, what is there if compared to being "grilled" in a trial ....

I was however a bit "shaken" before the trial as I was saddened by the fact that the other Company's witness could not make it to the trial as he is being taken ill - heart failure ... Sad because I have known him quite close. I have known him as a person who is very committed to the Company & always doing it above all else - even his own health!!!!

There were a number of occasions where he was being admitted to SJMC but he still giving "commands"/instructions to his subordinates in the estates under his charge. There was 1 occasion where I called him about employment issues at a particular estate - not knowing that he was in hospital - but still he attempted to brief me... Upon realising that he's not well & his own admission that he was admitted, I just stopped the conversation. He might be mad at me but to me he needed rest not an added burden at that material time ....

The last time I saw him was a day before I travelled to JB - to collect his MC for the Court - he was wheelchair bound ... That made me so sad ...

I just could not understand why I was so "melancholic" before the trial as my mind "travelled" further to another close friend of mine who passed away 2 years ago. Allahyarham Michael Chai - he converted to Islam in 2002 - was another committed Company man ... a person who always put more than 100% in his works above all else ....

To Allahyarham Michael, al Fatihah & to the other friend [I take the liberty here of not mentioning his name] hope you would be back in good health soonest possible, insyaALLAH ....

At the same time, I pray for good health to my wife Aishah, my 3 kids & myself and to all my friends out there!!! May ALLAH bless us all.

Till we meet again ....

No comments:

Post a Comment