Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Early Books/Poems That I Read

I considered myself as fortunate as I was the youngest of 6 siblings. I am even more fortunate as Apak was a teacher and during those "hip 70s" my elder brother was in Form Six.

The books ... they were in abundance!!! I could still remember reading "Hikayat Malim Deman", "Hikayat Awang Suluh Muda" "Hikayat 1001 Malam" etc when I was in my primary. I was in awe reading those "Hikayats" especially the 1st two .... The protagonists were born with cannon & spear in their hands!! They could even fly using the "baju layang"!! and who says only the States have Superman! We do have our own hero ....

Then came Pak Sako's turn. I read "Anak Mat Lela Gila" & "Putera Gunung Tahan" ... not knowing then they were full of political satirists.Could not blamed me as I was a kid then.

Reading "Hikayat Hang Tuah" by Kassim Ahmad was a thrill. It took quite some time for me to finish that thick green book. Funny thing is that since those days my heart is always inclined to Hang Jebat ... such a rebel and ahead of his time but tragic though. He's also a gentleman, a great lover but an anarchist at the same time. Ask Dang Anum for she surely could vouch for this.

It's true that there would be "Hang Jebats" as time passed by. My favourite poet Chairil Anwar was a mirror image of Hang Jebat with the famed poem entitled "Aku". He dared to communicate - almost bordering being rude & in a challenging manner - in "Di Masjid". He even dared to have a dialogue with Soekarno but very much mellow down in "Doa" ...

I would be committing a sin is I did not mention "Atheist" by Achdiat K Mihardja. Could not really recall the protagonist name (it's a common name, if I'm not mistaken it's "Hassan")...Until now I am of the opinion that "Hassan" is Chairil Anwar!!!!

Last but not least another great writer and another "Hang Jebat" i.e. Pramoedya Ananta Toer. His novels are a gems!!!! "Keluarga Gerilya", "Perburuan" etc.

Those books/poems had a great impact on me then & till now .... There is always a "Jebat" in each of us .. even Tuah himself was a "Jebat" himself!!! Why on earth he defied the death punishment by being in exiled at Ulu Melaka for years & he did not ensure Jebat really dead & ran amok in Melaka for days!!!!

Think about it ....

P/S: Please do not ask me what books I read as I grew up & what is my political inclination is .....

No comments:

Post a Comment