Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Tragic Death - Allahyarham Nor Hashimah

I know almost every body's attention is focused on the Israel's unprovoked attack of the "Freedom Flotilla" @ Gaza Humanitarian Aid. This I will deal with in my later posting ...

I couldn't but have to post my entry on the recent tragic death of Allahyarham Nor Hashimah who underwent training ala Commando organised by the PSD. She was a 30 year old mother of a 2 year old daughter and also survived by her beloved husband. It was reported that she had to undergo training ala Commando for several months. It must have been a tough one - the word "ala Commando" literally sent shivers through my spine!

I do not want to comment on the actual cause of death but to express my dismay at the remark (as reported in the NST the other day) by one Tan Sri - yes!! you are right a Tan Sri - who is also happen to be the DG of the PSD.

He said something like this in a nutshell - "This training had been carried out since 1970s and thousands have successfully went through well & fine...."

I felt nauseatic at the statement really - so insensitive & at the border of being almost inhumane - though the Tan Sri may not meant it, I hope!!!.

Look here Tan Sri, we are not talking about those "thousands" who had undergone and passed the said training without incident. We are talking about one (1) life - a mother of a 2 year old daughter, a wife and a daughter to her survived parents not to mention the siblings, in laws and warts all.

It's very sad that we tend to be very defensive and in the course of doing so, we tend to forgo sensitivitieshout having regard the feeling of the grieving family. Unless I read the news wrong!!!!

On the positive note it is good to hear that the PSD is looking into the possibility of reviewing the training module - unless they really want our PTD Officers to be as tough as Commando!!!!

What I am afraid of is this ... The statement may be one of those rhetoric statements and ended as being a cliche ... Proof? Just look back at how many statements of reviewing "this and that", stopping "this and that" every time there were casualties due to landslides or death at the railway crossing. Any positive/concrete action being carried out? No!!! Worst still an ex Minister - guess who - dare to blame it on God as he always said " We cannot do anything about it as it is an act of God!"

I leave it to you to be the judge & to Allahyarham Nor Hashimah my Al Fatihah to you. To the family my sincere condolence ... Al Fatihah.

Till we meet again .....

No comments:

Post a Comment