Monday, July 4, 2011

Is it too easy to strip a citizenship ...

I just do not bother to peruse through the Federal Constitution to find out how a Malaysian could loose his/her citizenship. What I am sure of there should be a certain mechanism and/or circumstances which warrant the stripping of a subject's citizenship... And I am pretty sure it would not be that easy to do so!!!

It was reported that Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam acting in his capacity as the President of the "Persekutuan Seni Silat Kebangsaan" which boasts of having over 2 million members with 211 affiliates urged the Government to strip off the citizenship of Datuk S. Ambiga.

Years back even M. Nasir, yes the great artist M. Nasir was not spared from similar calls just because he made a snide remark about the then PM Tun Dr Mahathir. This happened during a poetry reading function at the MATIC, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.

Others who were in the same boat which I could remember were the rap guy Name Wee - the guy who "rapped" our National anthem "Negara Ku". Even though personally and in principle, I abhor what he had done in the name of freedom of expression but to strip him of his citizenship? That's a bit too much I would say.

I would say given the remarks and/or action made by us Malaysians over the last 3 years or so, almost half of our citizens would be stripped off their citizenship ....

I dare not predict what would be Datuk s. Ambiga's reaction to Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam's remark ..... Well, I have mine but I choose to keep it privy to myself only...

Till we meet again ....

No comments:

Post a Comment