Tuesday, June 28, 2011

We Salute You Mr. Tey Chong Suan

Apart from the news on Bersih 2.0 rally scheduled this 9 July 2011 reported in NST today (27 June 2011), the news at page 6 NST on how a 74 year old Chinese guy was reportedly jumped into a canal near his home in Parit Kasim Tengah, Muar to save an 11 year old Malay boy from being swept away in the said canal caught my attention.

The Chins man is Mr. Tey Chong Suan who lived about 50 meters from the Malay boy's house - apparently they are neighbours - heard the boy's scream and without hesitation jumped into the canal without having regard the strong current.

Pardon me for stressing the race here - Chinese & Malay - for I am not being racist here. I am just trying to show that right down south of our beloved soil, there is still hope that we, Malaysians could live peacefully together and help each other.

I bet Mr. Tey did not ask what race the boy is when he swam in the canal or even hesitated when he found out that the boy is a Malay or in the extreme Mr. Ty would not asked whether the boy ha any connection with PERKASA.

This incident reminds me of what transpired way back in 1983 when my brother, Asri and I assisted a Chinese man who met with an accident along the trunk road (Rawang). The old man was hurt very badly and he was accompanied by his son when my brother took him in his car to the KL General Hospital.

What irked my brother and I was when we reached the Emergency Station at the hospital, it took as if ages for those people at the Emergency Unit to bring the trolley to transfer the old man. My brother was further infuriated when one of the attendant asked " Ini China ke Melayu ni ... ". I could still remember my brother turned and stared nastily to the said attendant and said " Boleh tolong cepat tak?".

We left the hospital disgusted and prayed for the best for the old man and his son. We were disgusted not because we assisted the old man and his son but with the attitude of those hospital workers.

That was in 1983 and with Mr. Tey's news in 2011, all is not lost since there is still hope for a better and unified Malaysia.

For Mr. Tey, again we salute you for your bravery and heroic gesture .....

No comments:

Post a Comment