Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Big Gesture by a "Small" Guy With A Big Heart

I have been suffocated with the brutalities of the city folks for the last 20 years or so and this posting really reminds me of the good old days ... during my childhood days as a kampung boy.

Lat week I was on a business trip to an Estate in Layang Layang, Johor for 2 days.... On the 2nd day, before I left for KL I dropped by at the Estate's surau ... As it was late in the evening, nobody was there but a gentleman and his son (about 12years old) I supposed ...

I noticed that this gentleman was busy preparing something - a drink - and was then sitting at the rear end of the surau prayer main hall attentively listening to his son reading the Holy Quran...

As I was about to leave the surau, I over heard him calling for me - "Encik... Encik ...". I then walked back into the Surau and went to him. Apparently, he had poured me a small glass of "teh tarik" and invited me to have a drink with him...

In the course of our conversation, I came to know he aws the Estate Contractor -"Saya ni kontrak potong rumput kat Estet ni..." He is also the Imam of that surau...
"Saya baru lagi jadi Imam - masih belajar lagi!' What a humble statement - at least he is an Imam as opposed to me a mere "Makmum"!!!

After about 45 minutes or so, I told him that I have to leave as my journey was a long affair ... I thank him and almost "unavoidably" said "Alhamdulillah" ... On my journey home, I kept thinking of that "small" guy - an Imam - with a very big gesture and for sure has a very big heart .... And guys, that was the best "teh tarik" that I ever had!!!!

How I missed the old days ......

No comments:

Post a Comment